The Great Race Part Two

                                                            The Great Race
                                                            Part Two
“The what?” I remember thinking I must have misheard him or been daydreaming. There was no way I was meant to be the, “Are you ready, fire bearer?” Hojan repeated.  I started to sway. “I’m not here to be the fire-bearer. That’s supposed to be you! You even have a coat of fire.” Hojan laughed and shook his head while he said, “It isn’t a choice we make Kalani. Neither Thomas nor I can carry the fire to the Elm. It must be you.” I nearly fell down, “No, uhm, no this is not right. This is some kind of joke.” Again, Hojan shook his head. “We’ll rest here for a while but you will be the one to carry the torch.” I got up and looked towards the oak which was still giving off a faint purple light and asked aloud, “Why me?” Mr. Howell tugged on my collar, trying to get my attention, “Look at the fire dear. See how it dances when you get near to it. How it reaches out to you? Calling for you to guide it?” I walked closer to it and saw the small flame bend towards me. I walked around the fire and the flame followed. “But, why me?” Mr. Howell shrugged his shoulders before placing his paw underneath his chin and sat down, “I’m afraid I don’t know why the fire chooses who it chooses but it has good reasons. All this time it has never chosen wrong. You can do it young lab.” I turned my head to the side so I could look him in the eye and asked, “How do you know?” That’s when Hojan stepped in with Thomas at his side and said to me from across the fire, the light illuminating the white in his face and making his orange coat glow, “Because the fire believes in you, and so do we.”
We huddled around the fire and Mr. Howell brought us some berries and nuts he had stored for guests. We graciously accepted and began to eat. “How did you and Thomas meet?” I asked Hojan, who then shot Thomas an uneasy look. Thomas nodded. “We have known each other a long time, we came to Sanctuary on the same day nearly 30 years ago now.” Hojan began but Thomas interrupted, “At the time I had keepers who were very distant. They brought me to Sanctuary and talked about ‘rehoming’ me. Something about not being able to give me what I deserved.” I looked into the flame which was dancing almost recreating the story that Thomas was telling. I saw a young pup getting home from playing all day at Sanctuary, making friends and forgetting all of his issues. As soon as he got through the door he was given a bowl of food and put into a crate. Only let out to relieve himself before being shut away again. I saw two keepers, one male and one female. I saw them arguing in the kitchen while the same young pup barked asking them to stop. I could almost hear the hurtful words the keepers were using against one another. All the while the pup whimpered in the crate wishing more than anything he could do something to stop them. I looked up from the flame and my eyes met Thomas’. He nodded at me and softly said “Yea, that’s it.” Motioning towards the flame I was watching. “What happened next?” I asked him. Thomas took a deep breath, “Hojan was the only one who I told what was happening.” I looked to the flames and I saw the same pup who was now almost two years old. The female keeper was gone and the male keeper didn’t seem interested in him. He had these dark colored bottles laying around the house and whenever the pup did something the keeper didn’t like he would hit, or kick the pup. The pup would whimper and crawl back to the crate. I looked away from the flames tears in my eyes slowly shaking my head. I felt the hackles on my back raise. I heard Thomas’ voice echo in the cave “Those were the dark days alright. Still my keeper took me to Sanctuary, he looked for someone to give me too but anytime someone came to look at me I would lash out against them.
 I didn’t want a new keeper. I wanted my keeper to love me like I loved him. Even in those days Hojan was there for me. Every day Hojan would greet me with that big smile he wears. Every day he would tell me today could be the day it all changes. Today could be the day everything gets better. Hojan never let a day go by where he didn’t tell me I was a good dog, a dog who deserved to be loved and cared for. Hojan kept me alive in those days.” I saw Thomas look at Hojan who moved closer to him, they nuzzled each other as friends do, tears in both their eyes now. “Then one day” Thomas continued, “a Sentinel came back with my leash, he told me my keeper wouldn’t be getting me that day. They set me up in a room and gave me their food. They read me a story as I went to sleep. I was there for about a month. Eventually someone came through who I had once known.” I looked at him and mumbled “The female keeper.” My voice was low and I thought the fire, which had grown quite large despite no additional wood being added to it, had concealed it, but I felt Thomas’ glistening eyes staring right at me. I slowly looked up and he nodded before continuing with his story, “Yes. She had returned for me. After that I came to Sanctuary less and less but Hojan and I ended up being neighbors so we still saw each other just about every day.” Thomas huddled next to Hojan and laid down to sleep. Hojan placed a paw over his shoulder and mouthed to me to lay down and get some sleep. He would keep watch.
I laid in the quiet for a while and listened to the crackling of the fire which kept silences oppressive force at bay. Eventually I was able to catch some sleep. I awoke to the first sound we had heard other than ourselves and the fire since we had entered this place. The crickets. I lifted my head up and saw Hojan at the mouth of the cave so I walked up to him, “Crickets?” I said still half asleep. Hojan nodded, “You know the story of the crickets don’t you?” I shook my head, “No, what is it?” Hojan smiled, “Well first it’s good fortune for us!” Before letting out a hearty laugh which woke Thomas up, “The crickets again?” He groaned from near the fire, Hojan spun around “Why do you say it like that? It’s good fortune!” Thomas moaned “You are a fool old Collie!” Hojan laughed again, “A fool? No I just remember their purpose.” Thomas just waved a paw at us, telling us to be quiet so he could sleep and before long we saw his paws racing. Chasing after rabbits and a low playful whimper coming from him. Hojan smiled at him before looking back at me, “Ah the crickets! Yes! Well, sit down and listen young fire bearer. It is said back before Sanctuary was first founded, back even before the first dogs entered this place, there were two creatures who came. One artic wolf cast out from his pack, and one lion seeking new prey to hunt. On their first night the Oak presented each of them with a challenge. There were birds singing in the trees, squirrels scurrying about, and crickets chirping. Each down a different path. One path led to the scorching desert, one led to the Oak herself, and the last led back out to the place they had come from. The Lion first pursued the squirrels, capturing and eating one, and then another, and then interrogating the third to find the greatest prey this place had to offer. His questions were met with only unintelligible squeaks. Then he chased the birds, promising not to harm them if they would just lead him to a large gazelle or antelope he could chase. He followed them as they sang a deceptive song promising a land of riches lay just ahead, but at the end of their path the lion found himself alone in a scorching desert with no way to return to the forest. The wolf, on the other hand, listened to each song. He heard the birds promising a land of sun-soaked riches, and the squirrels promised to bring the wolf back to a past he longed for, but it was the crickets whose song intrigued the wolf the most. They sang of one who was cast out looking for purpose and belonging and if he would only follow the path presented before him he may find it. The wolf followed the crickets and made it to the Oak. He became the first of the Oak’s chosen ones. The wolf would return to his home, retake his pack, and bring them all back here to live in this forest until the last of their days.” I looked off into the distance towards the Oak and I could see the top of it swaying gently above the other trees. “So why are the cricket’s good fortune?” Again Hojan smiled, “Because if the Crickets are leading us we are on the right track.”
Thomas scoffed from behind us. I nearly jumped out of my coat as I exclaimed, “I thought you were still asleep?” Thomas shook his head, “He tells the story far too enthusiastically for anyone to be able to sleep.” Hojan rolled his eyes and playfully bumped into his old friend. “It’s time then?” I asked. They both nodded their heads. Mr. Howell brought me the lit torch and I carried it in my mouth. We thanked him for his help and then Thomas inquired, “What direction?” Mr. Howell smiled and responded, “Well you already know don’t you?” Thomas tilted his head to the side, clearly confused, and Mr. Howell continued “Follow them.” Motioning towards the crickets. Thomas plopped on his side “Not you too!” Hojan and Mr. Howell both laughed and Hojan helped Thomas up and playfully said, “Told you it was more than just a story.” Thomas rolled his eyes and began to mutter something about coincidence.
We were on our way, the three of us. The crickets led us, playing their song through brambles and thickets. Never once stopping or letting us even imagine we were without our noble pathfinders. We set off into the dark night with a dim light and a soft sound to guide our way. We did not know what may lay ahead but we thought we could take on anything if we were together. We believed nothing could stop us. We were wrong.
                             

                              To Be Continued. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter Five: An Old Friend

Dog Profile: Opal

Chapter Nine: Cracks