Chapter Six: Desperation

“Are you sure this is going to work, Storm?” Buddy murmured as we approached the Towers.
 “C’mon, they’re just birds. How smart can they be?” Dagney asked.
 “They may be small, but they are some of the most cunning opponents you will ever face.” I told her sternly as I continued, “When Frodo and Santana were taking me to you, we saw a group of elephants run through the Plains. They knocked down the towers and were harassing the birds pretty well, but eventually the birds got the best of them and—” I paused for a moment.
“And what?” 
Buddy stopped and pointed with his nose, “They did that.”
 We turned looking to see the trunk and tusks of an elephant protruding out of a tower of trash. It wasn’t moving but the grey stuck out unnaturally in contrast with the amorphous blob it was crammed in. Dagney lowered her head and whispered, “Oh.” Her voice trailed off as she stared at the sunken elephant, “So that could be us?” She asked.
 I nodded, “If we’re not careful that would be the best possible outcome.” Dagney loudly gulped, “We’re here.” I said.
We walked into the clearing where I originally made the deal with the birds. A half dozen soared overhead and began circling while another dozen flew right past them and perched themselves on different towers. It appeared like the same birds as before were still perched on top of their tower as well as the same black bird who was fluttering nearby and casually fluttered over to us.
“That seemed rather quick, even for you. What news have you come back with?” The bird squawked. 
 I looked up to the tower Atrix was taken to only to see he was no longer there and the many birds that surrounded him were gone as well, replaced with only one bird on each tower, “I need to see Atrix before I continue. I need to know he’s alive and okay.” I saw the bird’s small beak twist into a smile. He gave a long caw and two large birds came over one of the towers with the small fox pup clutched between their claws, as soon as he saw me he began to struggle against the birds and would have had more success slowing down a car by hanging on to the bumper and pulling back than he did while dangling in the air. 
         The birds let him drop from high up in the air and he began to scream a scream that I had never been heard of before. So terrible, it was as if all of his life force was exerted in mustering such a tone and frequency that the nearby birds on the towers flew away in fear and shock. The bird in front of us dropped to the ground with wings covering its ears it yelled, “Grab him!” I remained still but saw Dagney begin to bound forward in an attempt to grab the plummeting fox.
         Atrix was just a few feet from the ground when the two birds that dropped him swooped in to save him and place him gently on top of Dagney who had attempted to stop only find herself sliding into a tower and nearly knocking it over, “Careful!” I hissed at her. Seemingly unaware of the chaos she almost caused Dagney walked back rather triumphantly with Atrix atop her shoulders, “I got him!” Dagney exuberantly said. I shook my head, “All you got was lucky and you nearly knocked a tower over right on top of us as well.” Dagney nodded her head, “Almost but I didn’t right?” I continued shaking my head and offered a small chuckle, “Atrix are you ok?” The fox nodded his head, “I was scared you weren’t coming back for me.” He said in a whimper, still shaking from his fall and near death. I gave him a warm look and reminded him, “I’ll always come back for you.”
I heard a squawk from up ahead and saw the black bird flanked with the two other birds, “Here’s your insurance now where is the dog?” I narrowed my eyes, “The dog and his group will be leaving soon you won’t have to worry about them for much longer.”
         The bird shook its head, “That won’t do any more. We need more than that.” I looked aghast at him, “That wasn’t the deal!” the bird shrugged his shoulders and the two large birds came flying toward Atrix, “Dagney run!” I yelled but it was too late as the birds had already picked Atrix up. I felt the hackles on the back of my neck rise and growl involuntarily emitted from deep in my throat as I roared, “Bring him back!”
         The bird began to flutter its wings as to keep itself a safe distance from us, Dagney looked stunned as the birds flew away and Buddy whispered, “They’re so fast!” I nodded back at him as the black bird began to speak, “The orange dog has put quite a damper on our regular business and as such we require more insurance that he won’t be returning.”  My hackles remained raised and the growl that was once deep in my throat was quickly rising as I asked, “And what would that be?” The bird began to fly around us, “We need to make an example of him, we need him to come alone. You bring him here, we’ll give you the fox, and we will take him. You and the fox can go on your way.
         I shook my head, “That isn’t really and option for us.” I growled at the bird. “Tsk, tsk, tsk, Storm once again you are not in a position to be making demands like this my dear, look around. Do you see how every tower in sight is occupied by birds? If something were to go wrong here you would be crushed and that poor fox would have to stay with us forever, or until his forever is over at least.” I barked back a curt, “Fine. I’ll bring him.” I turned to leave and signaled Buddy and Dagney to follow as the bird called out from behind us, “Oh and Storm? One last thing! When you come back it can only be you and the orange dog. No one else.” I briefly turned and nodded my head then we set back off to find Hojan.
         “What are we going to do?” asked Buddy. “I don’t know” I continued, “We’ll have to figure something out. We can’t leave Atrix with them, he won't last in a group like that.” Dagney, who was looking all around and falling behind finally ran to catch up and said, “Have you noticed the birds are watching us?” I turned my head slightly to see that every bird on every tower had their eyes turned toward us, “I didn’t until you brought it up.” Buddy cocked his head to the side, “Why do you think that is Storm?” I lowered my voice to just above a whisper, “Because they don’t know where we are going, but they want to. Good find Dagney.” Dagney began to blush and smile, “So does this mean you have a plan?” Buddy asked. I nodded, “I think so but we have to find Hojan first.”

         We made it back to camp and were quickly greeted by Hojan and the Sentinel who ushered me into the same room where I first met them. They sent Dagney and Buddy to get some food and report in with their respective captains. I told Hojan and Sentinel Thirteen what had happened. Hojan sat directly beneath the light slowly nodding his head as he looked at a wall, deep in thought.
         “You can’t seriously consider doing this, can you?” Sentinel Thirteen asked. 
Hojan shook his head, “No it’s too risky, but I have an idea I think might work instead. We can use a diversion, They were watching you leave you said?” I nodded and Hojan continued, “Well, then I propose we have two teams. One team will be with you which will consist of yourself, Dagney, Buddy, and Frodo. The other group will have myself, Bailey, Santana, and the Thunder Brothers. 
I turned my head to the side, “The Thunder Brothers are here?” 
Hojan nodded his head, “We stopped them right before they drove a herd of elephants into the plains, saved the whole lot of them.” 
I chuckled before asking, “The birds said when I came back it had to be just you and me.” 
“I know, but I don’t think they actually believe we’ll do that.” 
“They’ll kill him Hojan. They’ll drop him right off one of those towers. He won’t have a chance.”  
“What would you have me do? Walk in and surrender myself to the mercies of the birds? I’d be as good as dead then, Storm. Is that what you want?”
         I took a step back and felt my face grow hot, “Of course not! However, that doesn’t mean I want to sacrifice a pup like Atrix either. There has to be a way to save him without sacrificing anyone else.” 
Hojan nodded his head, “Then listen to my plan.” 
I conceded and laid down. Hojan told me his plan, and we left to gather our teams. Sentinel Thirteen went ahead of us to tend to something a scouting party reported seeing while Hojan and I began to walk toward the entrance. 
As we got closer we heard a voice from behind us, “Hojan do not tell me you are planning on sending her out there. She isn’t ready and you know it!”  
         Hojan turned around as a crowd began to swarm around us. He approached her. “She is more than capable of this. Bonnie. Whether you like it or not, she is growing up. You won’t be able to stop her forever.” Bonnie did not back down as Hojan towered over her. I could not see his face, but I could feel the glare he was giving her—the “how dare you question me” kind of glare he would occasionally give the most unlucky of dogs. Bonnie gave a similar glare back to him though, a glare that screamed “how dare you try to put my pup in danger.” 
Bonnie calmly and sternly said, “I will go in her place.” 
Hojan’s posture relaxed and his hackles laid down as he nodded. “Fine. We leave soon. Say your goodbyes then meet us at the entrance.” Bonnie, without saying a word, turned and walked away. The crowd parted as she walked by. Leaving a small, corgi sized hole, in the sea of dogs. The once bustling path was now completely silent. Hojan walked by me and the crowd, again, parted leaving a collie sized path in his wake. I followed closely behind, but the crowd stayed silent and still at least until after we left.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter Five: An Old Friend

Chapter Nine: Cracks

Chapter Fifteen: Out of the Darkness