Chapter Eight: A Sacrifice

What just Happened?” Dagney asked as she gazed in awe of the light which had replaced Bonnie’s body. 
“She’s been accepted by the Oak,” I said softly. 
Dagney’s wide eyes became even wider. For a moment I thought they might simply slip out of her head. 
“I thought we couldn’t be accepted by the Oak?” 
Hojan shrugged his shoulders and coldly said, “The Oak does what it wishes. We have no control over it.” 
I glanced at him, “The Oak has always accepted it’s heroes. Bonnie did not just sacrifice herself to save us, all of us, but she made such a decision so Bailey wouldn’t have too. She embodies a true Dog of the Oak.” 
Hojan softly scoffed, “She didn’t do anything special. Everyone here would have done the same.” 
I quickly retorted, “Then everyone here will be happily greeted by the dogs of the Oak when their time comes.” I could feel Hojan rolling his eyes, but before he could respond again we were interrupted by an unfamiliar voice. 
“The birds have been a menace to us since we arrived to this place, we’d like to thank you for helping us rid them and for providing us a home here.” A large elephant loomed behind us, his voice reaching out to the plains far beyond where we stood. 
I nodded and before I could say anything Hojan responded, “A deal is a deal, Alf. The plains are here for you and your kind. Do with it whatever you like, but remember dogs must be able to pass through without trouble.” 
The mighty elephant slowly nodded, “Of course, of course. As for you and yours, you are all welcome here whenever. We will write you all into our songs and stories so we do not forget what happened here and who helped us find our new home.” 
With that the elephants turned and began cleaning the trash, building towers that were tall, straight, and stable. Hojan motioned for us to leave. I picked up Atrix who was fast asleep and held him by his scruff. As we left the plains we heard the elephants calling and saw hundreds pouring out from all over. A new dawn had set for them in that place. 
***
Back at the Oak, where I was being questioned by Bailey the old shepherd, she interrupted my recounting of the story to ask, “How did Hojan find the elephants or make this deal with them?” 
I glared at her, “I don’t know exactly, but from what I gathered from talking to the Thunder Brothers, it sounded like the elephants were rummaging around the forest spooking the dogs, primarily the dogs Hojan had sent out to scout. He sent Bonnie and the Thunder Brothers to find where the elephants were gathered, and when they returned he was told they had nowhere to gather. They all seemed to cross over from the other land and were trapped here. Naturally the birds would call them to the plains, trap them, and kill them to provide better bases for their new towers.”
Bailey shook her head, “It’s awful what the birds did to them, but don’t forget, Storm, the blood that is shed after is on your paws.” 
My glare met Bailey’s piercing eyes, “I know. Anyway, back to where I was. Ah, yes—
***
“We made it back and everyone was bustling around as we prepared for the journey to the Desert. Dogs were running around with food or bedding or containers of water, everyone was doing their part. We walked into the madness and immediately were pulled in several different directions as we were called to help get materials ready or oversee a group of dogs doing something or, in Hojan’s case called away by Sentinel Thirteen to go over the route we would be taking. Atrix to this point hadn’t said a single word, but upon seeing all the dogs running about, his interest seemed to be sparked.
“Is everything going to be okay, Storm?” He weakly asked me. 
I smiled and said, “Yes, dear, everything will be okay. We’re just preparing for a trip, but you needn't worry. Just rest; we’ll talk a little bit later ok?” He nodded his head and fell back asleep. 
It was then a young corgi came running up, “You are all back!” I heard a soft yelp as young Bailee came running out of the crowd, her tail wagging and a big smile on her face. “Where’s Bonnie? I need to tell her something.” 
My heart sunk. “Come with me Bailee,” I said softly and led her to a spot away from all the busyness. “Bailee, something happened out there. I’m afraid Bonnie isn’t going to be coming back with us just yet.” 
Bailee shook her head in confusion and then tilted it, “What do you mean? Will she be meeting us in the Scorching Desert then?” 
I didn’t think my heart could sink any further, but sure enough it could and it continued to sink as I told the young corgi  what had happened. By the end of it, she was as quiet as the morning sunrise over the ocean. 
“I didn’t get to say goodbye,” she said at one point. 
I responded to reassure her, “There is no need to say goodbye. You’ll see her again. We’ll get to the Oak and you will see her again. You’ll be reunited and be able to tell her everything you didn’t get the chance too. Do not fret, young pup, there are greater things ahead of us than we could ever imagine.” 
She looked up at me as tears started to come to her face, “Do you promise? Do you promise I’ll get to see her again?” 
I nodded my head, “I do. I promise you will see her again, Bailee.” 
Bailee began drawing an image in the dirt with her paw—a big and plump body followed by stocky legs which looked more like tree trunks than anything else, and two large tusks followed and a squirly little tail that could barely be seen. Bailey glanced over at me as she began drawing more elephants in the dirt.
“Bonnie’s the reason we know of them. Right after Sanctuary was destroyed Bonnie and I were making our way to the Oak, or at least we tried to. It took a long time, but finally Bonnie admitted we were lost so we started to retrace our steps back to the shed. Bonnie hoped we would be able to find our way from there, but we never made it back to the shed. We felt the ground shake and heard a screeching noise as we saw the elephants for the first time. They were knocking over trees and blasting those horns they have hanging off of their faces. No regard whatsoever for the forest around them, Bonnie told me. The elephants saw us, and quickly ran over. I cowered when I saw them, massive creatures. Bigger than the tallest Sentinels, even. I stared up in awe, but Bonnie? She stood as flat footed as ever. She said in a stern voice—just like the one she would use with me when I was in trouble—that they were being very disrespectful of the forest. This was the land of the Oak and it was a sacred land to all animals. The elephants told us they had been lost. One moment they were walking to a watering hole and the next they were surrounded by towers of junk, towers so high they couldn’t even see the tops of some of them. No sooner than when they arrived had the birds begin to flutter around. Buzzing, poking, and mocking them...
“Abel, their leader, ordered the rest of the elephants to leave and run to the forest. The birds tried to stop the elephants, to no avail, as Abel rose up on his back two legs and slammed into one of the towers. It knocked several of the birds down, pinning dozens more. The rest grew into a craze and began chasing Abel. That was the last the elephants saw of him. They came through the woods and ran into us.”
Bailee glanced behind us at all the dogs running around. She took a deep breath before she continued.
“They loved it here. It wasn’t like anything they had back at their home, but they loved it here anyway. We stayed with them for a while. Wandered all around the land looking for a spot for them to call their own. Bonnie taught them all about the Oak, and the elephants loved it. They have a great memory, you know? Say something once and they’d remember it forever...” Her voice trailed off again as she looked down at the drawing she had made in the dirt.
 Bailey softly whispered, “I think I’d like to be alone, if you don’t mind.”  
I slowly nodded my head and walked away, brushing my tail over her body as I left, turning to say, “If you need anything I’m here Bailee; you aren’t alone. Don’t let yourself be tricked into believing you are. You are surrounded by many wonderful dogs. If you need help just ask someone, okay?” Bailey nodded and then laid down. 
As I walked away I was approached by a frail dalmation, “I’ll watch over her, dear, make sure no one disturbs her and she doesn’t get left behind.” 
I nodded to her, “I’m sure she would appreciate that.” 
The dalmation smiled warmly at me and said in a voice smoother than silk, “I’m Opal, by the way. I heard of your deeds when I was at Sanctuary.” 
I nuzzled to greet her, “Hello Opal, I’m Storm. Your name sounds familiar; you wouldn’t happen to be the same Opal who sat on the council at Sanctuary would you?” 
“The very same.” 
I bowed to her, “I’ve heard about you. It was was said you were one of the finest teachers Sanctuary had to offer.” 
She offered a warm smile, “Well, thank you, dear, and of course who hasn’t heard of the famous Storm, a Chosen of the Oak. It’s good to see you well.” 
I dipped my head again and said, “As with you.” 
Another dalmation approached and Opal said, “Oh Storm, this is my friend, Hugo. Hugo show your manors and introduce yourself to her.” 
Hugo gave me a stern nod which I reciprocated.
“Opal I’ve been looking all over for you,” Hugo said as Opal waived her tail.
“Well I’m here. Would you be a dear and go tell Cody that Bailee has some personal matters to attend to and won’t be able to help him finish packing.” 
Hugo rolled his eyes, “He’s not going to be happy about it.” 
Opal smiled, “You just tell him she’s with me, and you could offer to stay and help since she’ll be missing.” 
Hugo gave a deep sigh before nodding his head and trotting off.
“Don’t worry Storm,” Opal said, “I’ll take good care of her. You should be off though. They’ll be sending for you soon.”  
    I bid my farewell to Opal and went toward the meeting place. Atrix began to stir and said, “I can walk now, Storm. I’m fine.” He tried to wiggle his way out of my grasp. I paused and carefully put him down. He stretched his legs, one by one, extending them, and then his back as a loud yawn escaped his mouth. We began walking again, side by side.
I asked him, “What happened to you while you were there?” 
Atrix shyly shrugged his shoulders saying, “I don’t remember much. They took me away and fed me some berries. Then I was asleep until I saw you and the other dogs again. I remember hearing a song, though, and it kept my eyes closed. It was like I was awake, but I wasn’t. I couldn’t move or anything. 
    Before I could ask him anymore questions I saw Santana turn a corner and then briskly walked toward me. He shouted “Storm!” to me as if we weren’t already approaching each other. I looked him up and down. His coat looked dirty and his gaze quickly bounced from me and landed on Atrix, “Is he the reason we just went through all of that?” He asked accusingly. 
I glared at him, “Atrix, getting rid of the birds, helping the elephants. From where I stand I think there were quite a few reasons we just went through all of that. Wouldn’t you agree Santana?” I could feel the fire rising in my throat as my hackles did the same. 
Santana rolled his eyes, “Hojan has called for you, he’s in the Sentinel’s house. You know the way right?” 
I nodded and pushed past, making sure Atrix was safely between my legs as we passed by him. I looked back at him as we turned the corner and could see his eyes still fixated on the fox pup. Wearily and wantingly. 
    I would’ve walking straight into a wall if it wasn’t for Atrix who bumped me out of the way and exclaimed, “Watch where you are going Storm!” 
I shook my head and apologized to Atrix before casting a quick glance back to see if Santana was still there, but he was gone. I turned my attention toward Atrix.
“Sit down, Atrix,” I said sternly. 
He cocked his head, “What is it Storm? Don’t we need to hurry?”
“It can wait.” 
I took a long pause as Atrix quickly grew impatient and finally gasped, “Well?” 
“You’re right, we should get going.” 
Atrix rolled his eyes and huffed, “Fine.” I smiled at him and playfully bumped into him as we trotted down toward the meeting place. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter Five: An Old Friend

Chapter Nine: Cracks

Dog Profile: Opal