Chapter Ten: The Journey Begins

I stood shocked, ‘What? That doesn’t make any sense, how could I be your enemy?’ Bailey looked down at the ground, ‘He said you didn’t listen to the plan and led the group straight into a trap. He said only himself and Bonnie were able to avoid being captured. He said because of you Bonnie had sacrifice herself so the rest of you could live and he said you did it because the Oak told you too.’
    I took a step back as Bailey’s eyes began to well. She looked up at me, ‘Bonne told me stories of you. Of the dogs of the Oak as well. Is he right, did you really do this?’ I shook my head, ‘No, of course not Bailey. He’s lying.’
    Bailey looked up, ‘Why would he do that?’ I glanced behind us to make sure no one was watching and couldn’t see anyone. ‘I don’t know but we’ll find out.’ I looked down at Atrix who went to nuzzle Bailey, he whispered in a calm voice, ‘It’s ok Bailey.’ I heard her whisper, ‘I want to come with you.’ I stepped toward her, ‘Bailey it’s going to be a long journey I’m not sure it’s the best’ she interrupted me, ‘I’m coming with you. I can’t stay here, not if what you said is true. If Hojan is lying about the Oak and what happened at the plains. I need to come with you. To help figure it all out. For Bonnie’s sake.’ I sighed, ‘all right but we have one more stop to make before we can leave.’ 
    Atrix smiled and began to walk back to the pathway, ‘What are you doing?’ asked Bailey. Atrix stopped and looked back, ‘Well I’m going to find the other dog we need for our journey.’ He said thoughtfully. I sighed, ‘You don’t even know who that dog is Atrix.’ He nodded, ‘Maybe, but I found you and I found Bailey so I think I’ve got a good chance to find the other dog as well.’ I shook my head, chuckling as I did.
    Bailey shot back, ‘We should stick to less traveled paths. A lot of the dogs are believing Hojan. We wouldn’t want to run into any unnecessary trouble.’
    I gave Bailey a firm nod and we all began making our way around sticking to the less traveled paths. 
 As we walked Bailey asked, Who are we going to recruit anyway?’ I glanced at her and said, ‘Well it might not be your first choice.’ Bailey  came to a stop, ‘Don’t tell me it’s her.’  
We rounded a corner and Atrix squilled ‘It’s Dagney!’ Bailey sunk her head,  ‘Are you sure this is the right dog to bring with us?’ giving Dagney a cautious eye. I nodded, ‘I have no doubt in my mind this is the right dog for us. Bailey nodded, ‘Alright but if she falls on me.’ I playfully bumped into Bailey who ran after Atrix. 
There were only three dogs in the little clearing, Dagney, Opal, and Hugo. Opal and Hugo warily eyed me as I slowly approached, I heard Atrix telling Dagney all about the birds. I thought it was odd that even though Atrix had never met Dagney here he was treating her as if she was the oldest friend he had. Dagney was doing much the same as she clinged to every word Atrix had to say. 
‘Mutts have been talking’ Hugo muttered as I entered into the circle. To which Opal growled, ‘Mind your manners Hugo’ before saying ‘I apologize for him. He doesn’t always think.’ She glared back at him. 
‘There has been talk though Storm. Not the good kind of talk either.’ I nodded, ‘Bailey told us about what Hojan said.’ 
‘Right. So you know you can’t stay here then?’ Opal asked. I looked toward Dagney, ‘We were just here to ask Dagney a question before we left but how did you know we would be coming?’ I asked the old dalmatian.  
She gave a weak laugh, ‘I know you’re going to see her. I know you’ll need Dagney to get to her. Dagney is the only one who will be able to help you get through the pass. There isn’t another dog here strong enough to do.’ 
‘Yea’ I whispered, ‘So why did you come? If you knew I was leaving, just to warn me?’ 
Opal shook her head, ‘To remind you of why you’re leaving. Not just to go and find the seer, but to help us restore ourselves to the Oak.’ 
    We heard a thunderous howling as dogs began to yell, ‘We’re leaving!’ I looked toward Opal, ‘I guess it’s time for you to go.’ I then looked at Dagney who was bouncing with anticipation, ‘I thought you two would never stop gabbing! Of course I’m coming! Opal told me we’re going to see the seer! Who’s that? What’s the pass? Oh boy I’m excited Storm.’ Opal and I exchanged a nervous laugh before I said, ‘In time Dagney. For now let’s say goodbye to our friends.’ 
    We all said goodbye, Opal and I exchanged the Sentinel’s blessings. Then they left. 
    ‘Will we see them again?’ Bailey asked. I kept my gaze on the two of them and focused on the rumbling of all the dogs leaving the cavern, ‘I don’t know Bailey but we’ll try.’ Bailey nodded and crept in between my legs, ‘But we aren’t giving up on them right?’ 
    ‘Of course we aren’t giving up on them Bailey!’ Atrix yelled as he ran up my back and looked over my shoulder toward the corgi beneath us, ‘It’s not the way of the Oak to give up on someone’s friend!’ He nuzzled his head against mine.
    ‘So what’s the plan then Storm?’ Dagney asked as she walked up on the other side of me. 
    “First thing we have to do is go back to the shed.” I said. 
    “The Shed?” Atrix asked, “What’s that?” 
    The yelling from the dogs had died down so I began to walk toward the exit. Atrix still clung to my coat and Dagney was still at my side, just a pace or so behind. Bailey had come out from under my feet and was walking on in between Dagney and myself. 
    “Hello? Storm!” Atrix said impatiently, clearly not wanting to wait any longer for an answer. 
    “The shed is the way we would go back and forth from this place and our own.” I said. 
    Atrix jumped off of me and stood defiantly in front of me, “Are you saying I could have gone home ages ago and you didn’t tell me?” 
    I walked past him and said, “It’s closed. No one can go through it anymore. All the old ways are closed Atrix.” I turned my head slightly to see if the fox pup was still trailing behind me only to find he was sitting facing away, his head up. Throwing a fit as pups are prone to do. I sighed and shook my head as I turned all the way around and began to walk toward the pup, ‘If I knew a way to get you back to your pack I would have told you. But I don’t.’
    He looked up at me with a questioning eye and then turned his head away again, looking up at the rocks and letting out a loud ‘Hmph!’ 
    I shrugged my shoulders, ‘Fine have it your way. I wouldn’t want to be in this big creepy cavern all by myself but clearly you are way braver than me. Who knows what kind of creatures could be lurking around here since all the dogs have left.’  I turned to walk away with Bailey close behind. 
    Dagney did a double take closely eyeing myself and Bailey leaving and the small fox pup still ignoring us, ‘We’re just going to leave him here?’ She asked, ‘Isn’t it dangerous here without everyone?’
    I shrugged my shoulders, “Maybe but I’m sure a big strong fox like Atrix can take care of whatever bear or boar tries to make this place their home. Come on Dagney we have to hurry.’ 
    Dagney nodded and began awkwardly coming toward us as if one paw wanted to run and the others wanted to walk. Even so she caught up quickly. A few moments later we heard a squeal and Atrix came running back up my back, ‘I thought I saw something.’ He said clearly shaken.
    I chuckled, ‘It’s ok just go to sleep Atrix we’ve got quite some time before we get there.’ 
    The fox pup nodded and curled up on my back to sleep. Once he was fast asleep Bailey asked, ‘Aren't you worried about what he saw?’ 
    I shook my head, ‘It was a bat. I saw it when I turned around to talk to him. I was betting on him seeing and being scared by it.’ 
    ‘So you weren’t actually going to leave him?’ Dagney asked in clear surprise. 
    I looked at her, ‘No we aren’t leaving anyone behind. We’re all sticking together. It’s the only way we can get through this alive.’ 
    ‘This isn’t the way to the shed’ Bailey quickly snipped at me. 
‘No it’s not.’ I softly replied. 
‘Well why not?’ She asked. 
‘We need to make a quick stop first’ I whispered as I was pushing passed some bushes. 
‘Woah’ Dagney whispered, ‘They’ve done a lot of work since we left.’ As the towers of junk were all now gone. Replaced with grassy hills and a few odd trees speckled the land. 
I nodded and Bailey asked ‘Where are we?’ 
I didn’t respond but kept walking until we arrived at a small mound. The mound was filled two feet high with dirt packed down so hard someone might think it was a small naturally occuring hill if not for the other things present on the mound. Sprouting from mound was a white tusk and around the base of the tusk was a collar. Glinting off the purple light given off by the Oak, was Bonnie’s name tag. 
I stood back and allowed Bailey to approach. Dagney began to follow but I placed my head in front of her so she couldn’t. Dagney cocked her head and I whispered, ‘Let her have this moment.’  Just her. Dagney nodded and stepped back.
Bailey walked straight up the tusk and bent down to sniff the collar. In the distance we saw three large figures lumbering toward us. Tall and grey, save for the pearl white tusks hanging from their face. Bailey looked up and her tail waived slightly before returning to its lowered position. She looked back at me a few tears rolled down her cheeks, ‘Thank you.’ She said with a trembling voice, as if she were trying to contain a wave of emotion behind the small voice she had. 
The three elephants were at the mound before we knew it, “We owe her a greater debt you know.” The middle elephant said. 
Bailey whispered, “I think we all do. It was supposed to be me that came you know. She volunteered in my place. Worried I would do something foolish I suppose”
“She saved us” I said quietly, “She gave the elephants a home and helped to drive those birds out from the Land of the Oak.” 
Bailey nodded, “I know.” 
The elephant cleared his throat, or his trunk to interject, “Yes she did. As I said we owe her a great debt and have no way to repay it to her. However there will always be a safe place for you among our herd should you ever want it.” 
Bailey smiled, “That’s kind of you Eli. You knew her though, she would say there is no debt to be paid.” 
The elephant, named Eli, nodded, “Still our offer stands. After all you both did for us it is the least we can offer in return.” 
Bailey smiled and Dagney cocked her head, “I’m so confused.” She whispered to me. 
I tried to stifle a laugh, ‘Bailey can explain on the way, I’m sure.’ 
I felt Dagney shrug her massive shoulders, ‘Whatever you say, Storm.’ 
‘Eli? What how did you accomplish all of this in such a short amount of time?’ I asked slightly embarrassed I interrupted such a tender moment.
Eli lifted his trunk in the air and pointed toward the Oak, ‘It was a gift from the Oak. We cleared a small place after the battle and after burying our fallen. We awoke to this. A welcoming gift from the Oak. And a fine one at that!’ He said while blowing his trunk.
All around the plains we heard other elephants joining in. Creating a song of the Oak all their own. I smiled, ‘It is indeed. We’re glad you’re here.’ I said.
Dagney shuttered, ‘I’m glad you’re friendly!’
We all laughed for a moment. Eli and the other two elephants began to walk us toward our path, ‘Why are you going to the Dark Coast, Storm? What are you hoping to find?’ 
‘Honestly? I don’t know. Maybe a clue about where to go next? How to allow all these dogs into the Oak, how to rescue those in the Eternal Desert? I’m not sure. We’re planning to meet one of the Sentinel’s before we head that way anyway. Maybe he’ll be able to help us.’ My voice trailed off as we heard a mass of dogs howling in the distance.
‘Could that be them?’ Bailey asked.
I shrugged my shoulders, ‘Lots of dogs in the land now. It’s hard to say.’ 
We made it to our path and Eli pulled my back for a moment, ‘Storm’ he said, ‘If Hojan goes into that Desert without a way out he will be stuck there for all eternity.’ 
I nodded, ‘I know. He knows. He wants to take it over. He wants to make it a land to rival that of the Oaks. 
Eli large soft eyes narrowed, ‘You know the consequences of such an action don’t you. 
I nodded, ‘I know.’  
‘One more thing.’ Eli said as I was turning around to leave
    ‘Yes?’ I asked
    ‘One of your songbirds came in from a Sentinel, it said to go toward the veil and they’ll meet you before you cross.’
I nodded my head and Eli patted me on the head with his trunk before wishing us all good luck and safe travels, ‘May the Oak grow forever!’ The elephants sang as they trumpted their trunks and as we howled. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter Five: An Old Friend

Chapter Nine: Cracks

Chapter Fifteen: Out of the Darkness